Reducing my waste has proven to be a fulfilling daily practice that actually takes little effort. The future of our planet is a motivating factor for me, but it doesn’t have to be. Global health is one of practically infinite reasons to participate. I find that sustainable living feels good because it entails healthier choices and simplifying tasks, saving me time and money. Yes, it really is as great as it sounds.
I’m enjoying it so much that I am going to share with you the list of guidelines that I created for myself to follow:
4 STEPS TO MORE SUSTAINABLE LIVING
1. Use less water
- While doing dishes, turn off the water while scrubbing
- While brushing teeth, use water only to wet and clean the brush
- Limit showers to about 5 minutes
2. If I can walk there in 20 minutes or less, walk, don't drive
WHY: Save money on gas; reduce emissions/pollution; get exercise, fresh air
3. Buy used or borrow
- Before buying something, ask family and friends if they have a spare, or one they no longer use
- Go to thrift stores and garage sales
4. Replace boxed and wrapped foods with produce
WHY: Reduce trash…no packaging = no plastic to throw away; the difference between healthy and unhealthy eating!
If not for the planet, or your health, do it for your wallet.
What little choices are you making every day to reduce your waste? What would you add to my list?