How I did it...
- Deleted the apps from my phone
- Blocked the websites using a Google Chrome extension
- Set an end date and kept track of my progress...it was motivating to be able to tell myself and others, "I have been X days without any social media!"
- Experienced ticks to check Facebook, but I managed to resist
- Surprised I didn't miss or crave it nearly as much as I expected I would
- Realized the only social media platform I get true value from is Twitter, and only when using it to have conversations (rather than just following people)
- The only app I will re-download is Twitter, and I will keep my focus on interacting
- I will still use Facebook, but only for sharing my own work, and for the Events feature...no more mindless scrolling through the news feed!
- If I ever find myself craving or "needing" to check social media, I will know it is time to take another extended break
Even if you don't think you are addicted to social media, I highly suggest taking time off. Decide on a number of days and put it in your calendar. Being away from anything you see and do on a daily basis is an important exercise in self-control and improving your life perspective.